Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2011


The croissant pudding that made it to this site had to be special, because (I'm ashamed to say) I am not a croissant kind of girl. I'm more of a English muffin or ciabatta-for-breakfast kind of girl. My husband often gets up early on a Saturday morning, pop down to the nearest bakery and brings back fresh croissants for breakfast. Well, I eat them.....Its not that I totally despise of them, but if given a choice, I will choose something different.....


so when Candice from The Gorgeous Gourmet sent her recipe for Caramel Croissant Pudding yesterday, I was a bit........well, disappointed.

Not because there was something wrong with her recipe, but because of my issues with croissants.

By now you all know that I feature a different blogger every Thursday on my radio slot on RSG. The idea behind it is to showcase some well-known, as well as some of the lesser known bloggers and also for me to just get to know more of our South African bloggers. I must say, so far I have been pleasantly surprised and entertained and since last week, the featured bloggers have all visited My Easy Cooking HQ to cook up their favorite recipes. Last Thursday I had Kristy Snell from Food-monger and today Candice Le Noury from The Gorgeous Gourmet was here cooking up a storm.

Candice graduated from UCT and longed to escape Cape Town for a while and needed a change of scenery. She decided to go to France for a year, and immerse herself in the local cuisine - while working in the hospitality industry there.



When she returned to South Africa, she managed a 5* guest house in the coastal village of Knysna – which allowed her to explore her creativity in the kitchen, through cooking 3-course dinners for guests, and executing all catering.

The Gorgeous Gourmet started in October 2010, after much encouragement from her lovely man, and it exists to show you the best recipes, restaurants and wines.

So on with the Croissant pudding then.....

Caramel Croissant Pudding(Nigella Lawson)

Serves 2 very generously

The recipe can easily be doubled to serve 4

Ingredients:

2 croissants (can be a few days old)

1/2 cup sugar

2 tablespoons water

1 cup cream

2 eggs, beaten

Method:

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Tear the croissants into pieces and put in a small oven proof dish -

capacity of about 500ml.

Put the sugar and water into a saucepan, and swirl around until all sugar has dissolved before putting the

sauce pan on the stove over medium to high heat. Allow the sugar and water mixture to caramelize by leaving it to bubble away until the mixture turns a deep golden color - this takes 3 to 5 minutes. Remove pan from the heat and add the cream while whisking fast. Turn the heat off and continue stirring to dissolve any caramel that might have solidified.

Keep whisking while adding the beaten eggs. Pour custard over the croissants and place in the preheated oven for 20 minutes and keep the cream and spoon ready for when the pudding comes out the oven!

The verdict - If there was any recipe that would get me off my aversion to croissants, then it will be this dessert. Truly rich and decadent. Do yourself a favor and make the double batch.

Make sure you are tuned into 100-104FM tomorrow just after 9 on RSG.

More warm baked desserts....

Bread Pudding with Berries

Roly Poly

Sago Pudding

0 comments:

Resources

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Ads code